Saturday, March 5, 2011

Fairy Dust Bottle




The Story of the Cottingley Fairies is one story that most of us who adore Fairies already know of and for those of you who don't know the story, I'm sure whether you are a believer of Fairies or an aficionado of photography you'll be inclined to read a bit about the journey of these two young English girls who lived in Cottingley, England during the early part of the 1900's . 












Frances Griffiths and Elsie Wright loved Fairies , playing in the garden and just being typical little girls, in hindsight, not so average after all for they became world renown for their illusionary images of Fairies they had taken with their camera, confounding photographers and paranormal investigators around the globe. 

Their pictures created a stir in Britain, causing many to prove their photographs to be ingenue and manipulated;to think they didn't even have photoshop then! Just as many wanted to disprove the pictures , many others wanted to believe including Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the Sherlock Holmes Detective Mysteries.

Being an adamant believer of the Spirit world, he was definitely convinced the pictures were truly not fakes and eventually went on to publish "The Coming of the Fairies" in 1922. 

Interest in this curious tale continues to this day, why?

Because we all love to believe in the FAIRIES!!!!


And so this brings me to this Art Bottle I just completed…..

Recently I purchased a light crystal with a Fairy riding a dragonfly for my daughter M.






It's utterly magical in its composition and prismatic light and I do believe it is probably an image of Arthur Rackham . Anyway, you know how it goes, our minds subconsciously retain information, visual and auditory in which at a later date presents it self to you like a revelation totally new but somehow at that moment upon questioning the inspiration you begin to recall past events that ultimately brought you to this point of creativity.

I suppose this bottle is one of those creations, only realizing now after it's evolution that somehow I was inspired by the crystal ;I'm glad I was! 


Fairy Dust Bottle



























AliStar the Dragonfly Guardian of the Fairies' Dust 


  The perfume bottle is a purchase of mine I bought about a month ago . I adore the way the glass reflects iridescent colors. It still retains the lid, although not so sure it belongs to it but it fits. 

I had some of this very very old gold architectural moulding that I had stashed away for special projects and have only used it for the second time so far , so happily I still have more to play with for future art projects.

I filled the bottle with ultra fine sea sand and added a sprinkling of German silver glass glitter shards and tiny whimsical gold stars.

I wanted to create a bottle not only for beauty but for a purpose, so I didn't solder the lid, besides it is too beautiful to cover up. Whether a keeper of  dreams , notes of love, tokens of  affection, tiny treasures,  AliStar the dragonfly will be their keeper and watch over them in this whimsical vintage perfume bottle. I will be posting it on Etsy soon.



p.s. Kiki I just had to photograph my amethyst crystals with this Fairy Dust Bottle, it just seemed appropriate and so very whimsical.  After seeing your pictures I was inspired but your photographs and crystals are way better! Thanks! 

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Woah Annabelle..what a GOrgeous gorgeous post!! Magical..i so enjoyed it! You are so talented! and yes your crystals look So beautiful with your creations..so special...awesome..aww...thanks for the little note..so sweet!

MY gosh..your fairy and your jars are So breath-taking and beautiful...you are a creator of enchantment ...and you have such a magical touch to all that you do...shine on...fabulous!! Gorgeous photos...they look spectacular!
Have a sparkling day!
Victoria~

Lori Saul said...

Beautifully inspired art bottles- magical! Your blog is an enchanted escape to a world of beauty and a sense of calm. I so look forward to visiting again!

Dawn said...

This is a big old WOW!! I love the bottle, the dragonfly the photograph!! The fairies must visit you in your dreams and put all these pretty ideas into your head!! Please share your fairies with me!! I don't have any idea how you part with your magical bottles. I don't think I could do it.

Blog Archive

Blog Archive